Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Nation's Capital

Today was trend-breaking; it actually felt short. I think that can be accounted for by the total of five hours we spent on the bus to Washington, DC most of which I spent napping to make up for the slight lack of sleep I've been getting these past couple weeks.

Our first stop was Georgetown and since Brian, Alex and I had already taken a tour of the campus we sat down at a crêpe restaurant for lunch instead. The service was a little slow and we didn't have much time in town, so we unfortunately didn't get to see much but the free Popsicles we got at a store opening on our way back more than made up for that. After lunch we walked back to the campus and waited on the grass for the buses. It was very relaxing.Next up on our DC tour was The Mall, where we got to take a look at the capital buildings and a bunch of really interesting museums. We spent the most time in the air and space museum. It was a good feeling being able to understand so much of what the displays showed about how telescopes work and the ways we understand our solar system because we have been talking so much about it in physics.For dinner, we went to union station. I ate at a hamburger shop in the food court with a girl from my physics class and some of her friends. It was surprisingly tasty and the ketchup dishes they gave us were adorable. Unfortunately, we again did not have much time to look around or shop, but it was a good trip none the less.Before I knew it, it was time to get back on the bus. The ride home was long and the seats started getting pretty uncomfortable at the end there, but the scenery was beautiful especially once the sun started going down.

We didn't return to the quad till after 9, so we lay down on the grass, sang some songs we knew and some we made up, did some wheelbarrow racing to get rid of all our excess energy, and attempted to toss a Frisbee around in the dark. After that, I went to bed excited for tomorrows ice skating.

No comments:

Post a Comment