Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Brief Reunion Followed by Friendly Fun

Today was a relaxed day. We woke up much later than usual, we hung out in our group for the majority of the day, and we all had a lot of fun just being together. Julia, Brian, and I woke up around 8:45 so we could meet Mr. Miranda for breakfast at 9:30. We met at the same diner at which we had eaten together last time: the Philly Diner. We discussed what each of us has been doing for the past week. We learned that Mr. Miranda has been doing some reading, touring Philly’s Chinatown and Little Italy, and studying for his GRE. In return, we told him of everything that we’ve been doing. We also discussed our plans for visiting Swarthmore and Villanova. We plan to visit one of the two next Sunday and the other next Thursday after class. I look forward to visiting these colleges because I have heard a lot of great things about them from my college counselor, Sue Kim. It was nice to get back together as a group because it feels like it has been a very long time since we were all together as a cohort.

After breakfast, Brian and I hung out with Fred in our room. Brian and I completed our latest homework assignment and Fred did some reading for his biomed class. I had to complete my survey for our lab on Galilean and Keplarian telescopes, in which we tested the effectiveness of the two different types of telescopes. The differences are that a Keplarian telescope creates an upside-down image, takes less lenses to use, and has smaller focal lengths between the lenses, but a Galilean telescope creates an upright image, takes more lenses to make the image, and has longer focal lengths. The questions were easy though, so we were able to finish quickly. Upon completion of my assignment, I was able to go through my photos from yesterday and I found a few photos that I thought would be good for the blog.

Soon our group expanded as Julia, Alison, and Richard joined us. We all decided to go to brunch at the commons around 11:30. Following Brunch, Alison had to leave to join her touring group to go to the zoo. Fred, Julia, and Abheek had signed up to go on the second Kmart run. This left Brian and I to find something to do. We decided to stay with the group and joined the Kmart group as late additions. Brian and I decided to pick up some cereal and milk so we could occasionally sleep in and skip breakfast in the commons. We did however fail to remember to get bowls and spoons…our cereal doesn’t do us much good at the moment. After Kmart, we just walked around campus for a few hours. We went to a number of places, including the Penn Bookstore, the “Fro-gro” (Fresh Grocer), and a pretty good Chinese restaurant for dinner. After dinner we returned home and we are about to watch a movie called Battle Royale.
As a consolation for today’s rather uneventful blog, I thought I would add a few pictures from yesterday, most of which are from the Rockefeller Center. I’m signing off for the night because we are about to start the movie. Enjoy the pictures.
Brian, me, Fred, Sarah, Alison, Julia, Abheek, and Onur
A massive statue in the middle of the Columbia quad
Columbia's stylish architecture on display
Milani loves Columbia...
Intricate skyscrapers are not too rare, but I found some strange ones
Rockefeller Center (aka Radio City)
Elvis is certainly not dead
I got a cavity just looking at this building...
I looked up and thought I was looking at clouds, not a building
NYC: never short of advertisements
The following pictures are shots from on top of Rockefeller Center:


1 comment:

  1. Alex,

    Ah...a blog with lots of photos. Did you know that I happen to like photos?

    Just a suggestion: When you're trying to impress people with your smarts, don't admit to the world that you bought milk and cereal and forgot the bowls and spoons.

    ReplyDelete